Removing all courses from your schedule (even if only registered for one course) is considered a withdrawal of registration. Please see withdraw information for instructions on how to proceed.
Beginning the 6th day of the fall/spring semester or the 1st day of the summer/winter session students may still drop courses online by obtaining required permissions.
To drop a course via MyUI the student should:
Log-in to MyUI
- Click on Courses/Registration in the yellow banner or on the Courses/Registration tile below
- Click the drop link next to the course you wish to drop.
- Read the message and click continue if you wish to proceed
- Read and follow instructions regarding required permissions needed, warnings, and deadlines.
Required permissions replace the need for a written signature. Instructor permission is not required to drop a course.
- The student should understand the consequences of this drop and discuss with their advisor.
- Once consequences are understood click the blue button and proceed with obtaining the required permissions.
- Students may check back as often as they need (click drop link again) to see which permissions have been obtained and if any are still needed.
- Once all permissions have been obtained the student will receive an email and MyUI message letting them know they can process the drop.
- Log-in and click on drop link, review and understand warnings, consequences, and deadlines
- Click green drop button
- Course will be removed from your registration
Deadline Days - 4:30 pm is the cut-off time for obtaining any permissions on deadline days. The student has until 11:59 pm to process the drop in MyUI if they have obtained all required permissions by 4:30 pm. The Course Deadline look-up provides course specific deadlines.
It is the student’s responsibility to obtain the required permissions and to understand any consequences that may happen by processing the drop. Information regarding permissions and consequences will be posted on MyUI but the student should contact their advisor with any questions.
Required permissions to drop: Advisor - Instructor is not required. Advisor permission is not required for students who are admitted to the Tippie College of Business after their first year.
Additional permission required for International students – ISSS permission is required to drop a course if it has begun regardless of the start date of the course.
Additional permission required for Athletes – Athletics permission required from your Athletic Academic Coordinator, (319 335-9384), to drop a course in any semester or any session that has begun regardless of the start date of the course.
MyUI will close for drops at 11:59 pm the last day of the semester/session.
This online option to drop is not available for a semester/session that has ended.
After last day to drop without dean approval students must also obtain appropriate dean signature. The course deadline look-up provides course specific deadlines.
- Undergraduates: Degree- and nondegree-seeking students need dean of college that the course is offered in.
- Graduates: Degree- and nondegree-seeking students need dean of Graduate College.
- Professional: Need dean of college student is enrolled in.
Contact your Dean's Office for assistance.
Semester/session has ended - If change is for a semester/session that has ended, please begin the process at your Collegiate Dean’s office.