Number of Class Sessions
- 4-Week Summer Sub-Session (May 13 – June 6)
- MTWTh: 15 meeting days
- 6-Week I Summer Sub-Session (May 13 – June 20)
- MW: 11 meeting days
- TTh: 12 meeting days
- MTW: 17 meeting days
- TWTh: 18 meeting days
- MTWTh: 23 meeting days
- 6-Week II Summer Sub-Session (June 24 – Aug. 2)
- MW: 12 meeting days
- TTh: 11 meeting days
- MTW: 18 meeting days
- TWTh: 17 meeting days
- MTWTh: 23 meeting days
- 8-Week Summer Sub-Session (June 10 – Aug. 1)
- MW: 16 meeting days
- TTh: 15 meeting days
- MTW: 24 meeting days
- TWTh: 23 meeting days
- MTWTh: 31 meeting days
- 12-Week Summer Sub-Session (May 13 – Aug. 1)
- MW: 23 meeting days
- TTh: 23 meeting days
- MTW: 35 meeting days
- TWTh: 35 meeting days
- MTWTh: 46 meeting days
|Meeting Days||1 s.h||2 s.h.||3 s.h.||4 s.h.||5 s.h.||Sessions|
|15||50||100||150||200||NA||4 and 8 week|
|23||50||70||100||135||165||6, 8, and 12 week|
Four-Week Summer Sub-Session Details
- All courses must be offered in the morning and end by 12:30 p.m.
- Class start times are noted below by semester (credit) hour.
- All courses utilizing University Classrooms must be scheduled on the MTWTh meeting pattern.
Four-Week Summer Sub-Session Approved Class Time Model
1 s.h. – MTWTh
- 8:30 a.m. – 9:20 a.m.
- 9:30 a.m. – 10:20 a.m.
- 10:30 a.m. – 11:20 a.m.
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:20 p.m.
2 s.h. – MTWTh
- 8:30 a.m. – 10:10 a.m.
- 9:30 a.m. – 11:10 a.m.
- 10:30 a.m. – 12:10 p.m.
3 s.h. – MTWTh
- 8:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
4 s.h. (non-lab course only) – MTWTh
- 8:30 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.
5 s.h. – not applicable.
Final Exam Note – reserved last Friday of session for final exam.
Eight-, Six-, and Twelve-Week Summer Sub-Session Details
- Generally speaking, eight-week classes are preferred to be offered prior to 12:30 p.m. while six- and twelve-week classes are preferred to be offered in the afternoon beginning at 12:30 p.m. An attempt to minimize afternoon classes is desired to reduce energy consumption whenever feasible.
- Approved class times START on the half hour beginning at 8:30 a.m. Classes will end by 6:00 p.m. unless space can be found in an open building coordinated with Utilities and Energy Management to maximize campus energy savings. It is encouraged that departmental teaching spaces follow a similar scheduling pattern.
- All courses within the eight-, six-, and twelve-week summer sub-sessions in university classrooms must be scheduled in the following meeting patterns: two days per week as MW or TTh; three days per week as MTW or TWTh; four days per week as MTWTh.
During the summer session, faculty have the opportunity to administer the final exam/cumulative assessment activity for their course either:
- during their last regularly scheduled course meeting time, or
- faculty may request to be given a final exam assignment on the respective final exam date for their sub-session.
For detailed instructions regarding the final exam day assignment needs, please see http://www.registrar.uiowa.edu/Student/ExamInformation/FinalExamSchedule...