Students must meet certain criteria before they can register at The University of Iowa.
To be eligible to register you must:
- Have an appropriate admission to The University of Iowa. If you last attended more than one year ago, or if you earned a degree in your last session attended, then you will need to contact the Office of Admissions.
- Have a registration date and time assigned to you in MyUI. These are assigned no later than two weeks prior to Early Registration. To check for your date and time, log into your MyUI, and click Home tab. If no time is assigned you should contact the Registrar’s Service Center for assistance.
- Be clear of any registration holds. To check for holds, log into your MyUI, and click Home tab. Holds and contact information will be displayed under Important Registration Information in the appropriate session boxes.
- U-bill must not be past due. To check your U-bill, log into your MyUI and click Student Records tab. Under the Finances & Billing heading, click on University Bill.
Every University of Iowa student is assigned an academic advisor to assist with educational planning and registration. You will need to be authorized to register by your advisor. This may require a meeting with your academic advisor or it may happen automatically. Consult your department or college for their advising policies and dates.
- Students advised in the Academic Advising Center typically meet with their advisor twice each semester. AAC-advised students are required to meet with their academic advisor before they will be authorized to register.
- Students admitted to the Tippie College of Business are not required to meet with an advisor prior to registration.
- Undergraduate Continuing Education students taking only courses or workshops offered through Distance and Online Education are not required to meet with an advisor prior to registration.