Most Recent Bookstore Uploads
- Iowa Hawkshop/University Bookstore: uploaded daily
- Iowa Book: 8/14/18
- ISBA (Law): 8/3/18
- Prairie Lights: 8/14/18
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) requires that book titles, ISBN numbers and prices of required and recommended books and other materials for any course are included on the institution's electronic schedule of courses in time for student registration.
The Office of the Provost encourages instructors to place their textbook order by Early Registration with either the Iowa Hawk Shop/University Bookstore, Iowa Book, Prairie Lights, or the ISBA Law Bookstore as the result of an electronic data upload process. When the departmental representative places an order with the chosen location, a data feed of required textbook details including the ISBN will be returned by direct feed into MAUI Offerings Planner. If textbook orders are placed with multiple book stores, all data files will be uploaded to MAUI and will reflect on MyUI. Once the data feed has been returned to MAUI, a departmental representative will be able to choose which line items are being displayed in MyUI and determine if the textbook is required, recommended, or optional.
All textbook and resource orders should be finalized in MAUI by Early Registration, but in no event later than four weeks prior to the start of the semester in which the textbook is to be used by students. If textbook or resource orders cannot be placed by this time, departmental representatives now have the option to indicate their extenuating circumstances in MAUI. These options include: instructor not assigned, course under development, or materials not available. Textbook information is only required for Lecture and Standalone sections. Textbook information is not required for related sections such as: lab, discussion, lab/discussion, and independent study.
When contacting the bookstore(s) please provide all of the following information:
- Publisher and Copyright Year
- Purchasing Option (Required, Recommended, Optional)
How to Proceed for Fall 2018
- Place textbook and resource orders at any and all preferred bookstore(s) by early registration.
- For Iowa Hawk Shop/University Book Store, Iowa Book, Prairie Lights and ISBA College of Law Bookstore orders:
- We will be uploading the textbook files from these book stores.
- The data file will only assign textbook information to the course section on the file.
- Example: If the data file lists section 000A, then textbook information will only show for 000A in Offerings Planner.
- Related sections will not be checked for compliance.
- The book store will list all lectures and stand-alone sections separately in the data file.
- Departments will no longer have to enter book details for orders placed with these book stores.
- For resources or non-textbook related items such as equipment, course packets, etc. utilize the "Other Resources and Additional Information" area.
- If you are using another vendor not listed above, for now, please include all book details in "Other Resources and Additional Information".
Book Store Contact Information
Some departments utilize administrative staff to collect and place textbook orders for instructors. Others ask instructors to place their own orders. Those decisions continue to be made by the department and are not impacted by textbook and resource enhancements in MAUI/MyUI.
Please click HERE for Iowa Hawk Shop/University Bookstore, Iowa Book and Prairie Lights contact information.
Textbook and Resource Assignment Flow Chart
Please click HERE to review our textbook ordering guide.
ICON Direct is the University of Iowa's initiative for ordering digital content from specific publishers and delivering this content to students and faculty. Please click HERE for more information about ICON Direct.
October 23 Textbook and Resource Lunch N' Learn Presentation
- All textbook line items will appear in MAUI/MyUI by default.
- Textbook data will not be overlaid as new data files arrive. If new textbook line items are added the textbook will be added to the preexisting list.
- Any information entered in MAUI under “Other Resources” or returned from one of the book stores above will be delivered to the Iowa Hawk Shop/University Bookstore through a data exchange process. Departmental representatives can choose to “hide” the Iowa Hawk Shop by not displaying all line items associated to that bookstore.
- Iowa Hawk Shop/University Bookstore's data file will be uploaded daily. Iowa Book, Prairie Lights, and the ISBA Law Bookstores file will only be upload as new files become available. If new orders are not displaying in MAUI/MyUI, please contact the book store so they can provide us a new file.
- If departments or instructors need to make an edit to a textbook, please contact the book store directly so they can provide us with a new file as no edits can be facilitated on the MAUI screen.