Students must meet certain criteria before they can register at The University of Iowa.
To be eligible to register you must:
- Have an appropriate admission to The University of Iowa.
- New undergraduate students will register during orientation. If you are a new student who is not required to attend orientation, check for a registration date and time in MyUI under the Home tab. Graduate and professional students should contact their department with registration questions.
- Be clear of any registration holds. To check for holds, log into your MyUI Home tab. Holds and contact information will be displayed under Important Registration Information in the appropriate session boxes.
- U-Bill must not be past due. To check your U-Bill, log into MyUI and click the Student Records tab. Under Finances & Billing heading click on University Bill.
Undergraduate students enrolling for their first semester as degree‑seeking students are required to attend an orientation program.
Every University of Iowa student is assigned an academic advisor to assist with educational planning and registration.
- Undergraduate students enrolling for their first semester as degree‑seeking students will meet their advisor at their orientation program.
- New students not required to attend an orientation program should meet with your advisor to select courses and obtain permission to register. A meeting with your academic advisor or your academic advising office is an important part of the registration process. You must consult your department or college for their advising dates.
- Students advised by the Academic Advising Center are encouraged to meet with their advisor for a planning appointment prior to their registration time.
- Students admitted to the Tippie College of Business are not required to meet with their advisor prior to registration.
- Undergraduate Continuing Education students taking only courses or workshops offered through the Division of Continuing Education are not required to meet with their advisor prior to registration.