FERPA Training and Certification for Instructors
To ensure the UI campus community is in compliance with FERPA regulations, all UI instructors, including TAs, are required to complete the online FERPA training module and quiz at least once during their employment at the University. After having completed the training, instructors will be required to attest to an Annual Certification Notice on January 1st of each year in UI Self Service. Anyone needing administrative access to student records information in MAUI, beyond the class list information, must also complete the MAUI Access Request Form, which requires DEO approval.
FERPA Training Requirements for Instructors (Fall 2022)
Training for Faculty and Staff
University of Iowa Faculty and Staff with a HR Appointment
To complete the online FERPA training module:
- Use your HawkID and password to log into Employee Self Service
- Click the My Career tab, and select Learning and Development
- Select the My Training tab for the Compliance and Qualifications page
- Under Enroll in Courses, type “FERPA”
- Then click View Course, next to the FERPA Training, under Actions
- Select Enroll in this Course Section, to begin FERPA training
University of Iowa Affiliates and Students
Those individuals that do not have an active University of Iowa HR appointment, such as students or UI Center for Advancement employees, must access FERPA training through Canvas (ICON). To gain access to this training module, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the steps below. You must have a valid HawkID to gain access to this module.
- To enroll yourself in a my training course, first go to https://compliance.hr.uiowa.edu
- Log in using your hawkid and password. Once logged in, click "My Training" in the blue navigation bar.
- You will then be taken to the "Self Enroll in a Course" page. This page will allow you to search for courses you wish to enroll in.
- Enter information for the course you wish to enroll, and click the "Search Courses" button to search for courses using the criteria you enter. You may also enter "FERPA1" (the course #) or "FERPA Training Site for Non-UI Staff members" in the "Type here to filter this list" box on the upper left of the search results. Typing here will filter the current set of search results.
- Once you've found the course you wish to enroll in, click the "View Details" button.
- To enroll in the course, click the "Enroll in Session" button. You will then be taken to the course page inside canvas. Once you've completed the quiz and scored an 80% or higher, your completion will automatically be picked up and reflected in my training that night.
In-Person FERPA Training
Interested in in-person FERPA Training for your department, college or org? Contact email@example.com.
In-person training is not a substitute for the online training mentioned above. Individuals will still need to complete FERPA training through employee self-service.
Once you have successfully completed the FERPA course Module and quiz (with a score of 80% or better), your MAUI account can be activated. If you are a new user, you will need to fill out the form requesting access to MAUI. If you are just reactivating your MAUI account, after you have successfully passed the FERPA quiz you are still unable to login to MAUI, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
This information includes basic FERPA information including your responsibility as a faculty/staff member, explanation of an Educational Record, and Frequently Asked Questions/Senarios from faculty/staff.
This handbook is designed for employees of the University of Iowa in administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff positions, including Public Safety and UI Health Care staff.