Beginning the 6th business day of the semester, students will be able to indicate a desire to drop courses electronically through MyUI, while advisors, Athletic Students Services staff, ISSS staff, departmental administrators, and Collegiate office staff will be able to give authorization for drops electronically through MAUI. Once all authorizations have been granted, students will be able to complete the drop process electronically through MyUI.
- No instructors’ signatures will be required to drop courses.
- Students will still be allowed to process drops via a paper form if they choose, with the required signatures.
- Adds, grading and section change requests will continue to require a paper form.
- Help documents with screenshots can be found here.
The drop process:
- Students may indicate on MyUI their desire to drop a course. When students do this, they will be told what permissions would be needed (advisor, athletics, ISSS, collegiate approval) and to contact the appropriate offices.
- Students will be informed that it is their responsibility to contact their advisor to request authorization for any drops. After discussing, advisors may authorize drops for students in MAUI. Advisors may authorize even if students haven’t initiated the drops on MyUI.
- Students will double check MyUI to see if they need any other authorizations. If not, they can complete the drop through MyUI. If other authorizations are needed (athletics, ISSS, collegiate approval) it is the student’s responsibility to contact those offices.
- Authorizations may be submitted electronically by those offices through MAUI.
- Students will be notified by the system once all authorizations have been granted and they can then complete the drop through MyUI.
- This process does not change the need for meeting with advisors prior to dropping courses (with the exception of students admitted to Tippie College of Business). Students will continue to need appropriate authorization to drop courses.
- Students who indicate their intention to drop a course on MyUI will receive a reminder after one week if an advisor’s authorization has not yet been given and they will be directed to contact the advisor.
- The system will be able to identify student-athletes and international students. These students must get permission from their advisors and those offices for any drops effective the first day of classes.
- The system will also identify if a student is trying to process a drop after the drop deadline and will indicate that collegiate approval is necessary.
- Students will receive several “warnings” in the system about the possible consequences of dropping below full-time. The warnings will address issues related to full vs part-time status, financial aid, pre-requisites, impact on time to graduation that drops may have, etc.
- As noted above, students may still use paper form to process drops, especially if a course add is being completed simultaneously. Adds will still require an instructor’s signature, as well as the advisor’s and others as outlined above.
- Changes of registration, such as a change in semester hours or grading, will require both the advisors and instructors signature on paper forms.
- Changing sections will only require the instructor’s signature for the new section and must be completed via a paper form.
- All deadlines dates for dropping are still enforced. Students must be sure to get the required permissions during business hours on the deadline days. However, if students have the required permissions, they may still complete the drop process online until 11:59 pm.
- Students will have the ability to cancel any drop requests.
- Drop authorization is revocable.
- The electronic drop system will be active through the last day of the semester.
- For off-cycle courses, electronic drop authorization goes into effect the first day of the course section.
- For winter and summer sessions, the electronic drop authorization is in effect on the 1st day of the session.
- A MyAdvisee report is being created which will list the students who need drop authorization
- Staff with appropriate security roles will have access to see the registration change page dropdown within the student panel and also via the class list in offerings planner. Instructors will be able to see the pending registration changes via their class list.