Instructors should use MAUI (http://www.maui.uiowa.edu) to submit attendance reports, midterm delinquencies, final grades, and grade changes. After logging into MAUI with your HawkID and password, check the "Messages and Alerts" box for important information about course lists and grades. Instructors can view their class lists by "clicking" the "My Courses" link. Additional information about submitting final grades and grade changes is available by viewing the HELP screen.
Course lists reflect the current enrollment status of each student at the time the list is displayed. If a student changes their enrollment, the change will be displayed the next time the application is opened.
Please read the Course Grades - Administration link here for information about course lists and about electronic submission of attendance reports and grades.
For more detailed instructions on how to submit a Grade Change please "click" on the Grade Change Instructions link here.
Attendance reporting is highly recommended of all courses if:
- Your course runs the entirety of the academic session or
- Your course is off-cycle but begins on or prior to the closing date determined for the Attendance Class List deadline
To establish federal financial aid eligibility, students must attend all registered classes at least once during the first ten days of each semester. If instructors report a student as not attending, financial aid may be cancelled or reduced.
Active participation by a student in an instructional activity related to the student’s course of study that is defined by the institution in accordance with any applicable requirements of its State or accrediting agency; and includes, but is not limited to:
- Attending asynchronous class, lecture, recitation, or field or laboratory activity, physically or online, where there is an opportunity for interaction between the instructor and students;
- Submitting an academic assignment;
- Taking an assessment or an exam;
- Participating in an interactive tutorial, webinar, or other interactive computer-assisted instruction;
- Participating in a study group, group project, or an online discussion that is assigned by the institution;
- Interacting with an instructor about academic matters.
The definition of academic engagement does not include activities where a student may be present, but not academically engaged, such as:
- Living in institutional housing;
- Participating in the school’s meal plan;
- Logging into an online class or tutorial without any further participation;
- Participating in academic counseling or advising; or
- Participating in a student-organized study group.
Course lists are available through MAUI. Instructors should log in with their HawkID and password. Next, "click" on the “My Courses” link to display the courses they are assigned to teach. "Click" on “edit” under the Attend List heading to open the application to complete the attendance report. Instructors must review each of their course lists and submit their attendance report by 5 p.m. on the appropriate Attendance Class List deadline.
If the instructor indicates a student is not attending, and if the student is still registered for the section by the Enrollment Audit deadline, a NOT ATTENDING notice will be sent to the student. For courses that are not off-cycle, if the instructor “adds” a student to a section, and if that student is registered for another section of the course, a section change will be made and no notice will be sent. If the student is not registered for the course, an ATTENDING, NOT REGISTERED notice will be sent to the student.
It is University policy that students may not attend a class for which they are not officially registered. Please direct students who are attending your class but whose names do not appear on the course list to the Registrar’s Service Center, 2700 UCC or email@example.com, for information about requesting permission to add a course or to register after the deadline.
Midterm and D/F reports are highly recommended if:
- Your course runs the entirety of the academic session or
- Your course is off-cycle but begins on or prior to the closing date determined for the Midterm Report deadline
D/F grades only need to be submitted for undergraduate students whose grade at midterm is D+, D, D-, or F. A midterm grade does not need to be reported for students whose grade at midterm is above D+.
If your course begins after the determined midterm reporting deadline date or if final grades are open for final grade entry (or have already been submitted), the midterm report is not available. We assume in those instances instructors are notifying students individually who are receiving D/Fs.
Course lists are available through MAUI. Instructors should log in with their HawkID and password. Next, "click" on the “My Courses” link to display the courses they are assigned to teach. "Click" on “edit” under the Midterm List heading to open the application to report grades of D or F for students in any of the undergraduate colleges. Instructors should review each of their course lists and submit their reports by 5 p.m. on the appropriate Midterm Report deadline.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Although you are not required to complete the Midterm attendance D/F report, it is highly recommended as many offices use this information to reach out to students to ensure student success.
Final grades are to be submitted via MAUI and be in "Approved" status within seventy-two hours (excluding weekends and holidays) after close of examination week (fall and spring semesters); or after close of the four-week or 1st six-week summer session, regular summer session, or winter session.
To enter final grades, instructors should log into MAUI with their HawkID and password. "Click" on the "My Courses" link to display the courses they are teaching. "Click" on "edit" under the Final List heading to bring up the final grade entry panel. "Select" each student's final grade from the dropdown list. You may "select" "Save" or "Submit" before leaving this screen. If you "select" "Save" you may leave some grades blank and return later to complete grade entry. Before "clicking" "Submit" each student in the section must have a final grade entered.
Attendance Reporting for Students Earning Non-Passing Grades
In addition to attendance reporting, please note that with final grade submission, UI faculty and instructors are required to provide a last date of attendance for any student receiving a failing grade (AUU, F, N, and U). It is critical to be accurate when listing the last date of attendance as this will impact the dollar amount of financial aid the student will be required to pay back.
- Completed Course - Student earned a non-passing grade and met academic activity criteria throughout the course.
- Never Attended - Student earned a non-passing grade and did not meet academic activity criteria.
- Stopped Attending - Student earned a non-passing grade and met academic activity requirements during the first 10 days of the session, but did not meet the requirement after attendance was reported.