Course Cancellation Best Practices are determined by the college, under consultation with the Office of the Registrar. Please review the following policies and steps for canceling course sections in Approved status.
No Students Enrolled - All Colleges
Change the section registration status to "Cancelled" in Offerings Planner
Due to the impact on Schedule Builder for those student who the cancelled section is part of their Preferred Schedules in the Schedule Builder, please use the Schedule Builder panel in Offerings Planner to notify those students. See templates available below.
Students are Enrolled
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
When a CLAS department needs to cancel a section with enrollments, the following process must be followed:
- Change the Registration Status to Pending to prevent additional enrollments
- DO NOT notify students at this point in the process
- If there are other open sections of the course, check student schedules to see if students can be moved instead of dropped
- Check to see if there are other courses to suggest to students being dropped
- Submit the CLAS Course Cancellation Workflow Form
- Step 1: Form routes to the CLAS Dean's Office for review by Cornelia Lang, Jennifer Eimers, or Karen Noggle
- Step 2: If cancellation is approved, form will then route to Reg-MAUI-Support for processing
- REG-MAUI-Support will comment on the workflow form indicating to proceed with notifying students about upcoming course changes
- Department then comments on the form to let Reg-MAUI-Support know students have been notified
- Reg-MAUI-Support will make enrollment changes and cancel the course section. Reg-MAUI-Support will upload an attachment including information about the administrative enrollment changes made
All Other Colleges
Change the course section registration status to "Pending" in Offerings Planner. Pending the course section prevents further enrollment.
Notify the enrolled student(s) the section is being cancelled. This would be a good time to suggest an alternative course section (if applicable).
Reg-MAUI-Support will move enrolled students to another section (if applicable) of the same course if another section does not conflict with their schedule. We encourage departments to check student schedules prior to cancellation, and then send Reg-MAUI-Support information for the students to be moved prior to cancellation.
Once the student is notified, please send email@example.com a follow-up email including:
- Course Subject:Course Number:Section Number
- An explanation that students have been notified
Due to the impact for those students who have the cancelled section as part of their Preferred Schedules in Schedule Builder, please use the Schedule Builder panel in Offerings Planner to notify those students. See templates available below.
Please be aware that Reg-MAUI-Support will only move students if a course is being cancelled. We need a full listing of the students with their HawkIDs, the section they are currently enrolled in, and the section you would like them moved to.
Cancellation Email Template (Schedule Builder)
You have received this message because you included ABCD:1234:0001 in at least one Preferred Schedule in Schedule Builder. You will not be able to enroll from Preferred Schedules with section 0001 since it has been cancelled.
If you wish to enroll in ABCD:1234 and section 0001 is the only section in your course cart filter or if this section is the only one indicated in your Preferred Schedules, you will need to rebuild your Preferred Schedules with other sections. However, if you have other sections of ABCD:1234 already indicated in your Preferred Schedules, please use those Preferred Schedules to enroll.
Please disregard this message if you are already enrolled in another section of ABCD:1234.