Address Changes

Students may change their address by logging into MyUI and clicking on the Address Change tile or by clicking on Student Information in the gold banner, then under the Student Life Management heading, click Address Change Update.

Students may update addresses for Residing, Home, Parent, Emergency Contact, and email from this page.

Name Changes 

The Office of the Registrar processes name changes for former and current students. If you ever attended a course offered by the University of Iowa you are/were a student. This could be on campus, off campus, or online courses. If you took courses as part of PSEO (Post Secondary Enrollment Option) through your high school or programs for credit at the University of Iowa like PLTW (Project Lead the Way) STEMinnovator, BIZinnovator then you are considered a student for the purpose of name changes.

If you have never been a University of Iowa student but are an employee, you may complete your name change via the HR Self-Service portal. If you have questions contact HR at (319) 335-3558.

Student Name Types

  • Official Student – Official Student Records Name is used by the Office of the Registrar on official documents. It will appear on your transcript, diploma, and any official verification letters.
  • Standard  - Standard or legal name is used on your University Bill, financial aid, and most communications on campus. If you are also employed by the University, it is used on all official employment records by Human Resources, as well as UI Benefits.
  • Preferred  - The policy regarding preferred names can be found on the Dean of Students website. How to update a preferred name can be found on the Trans-Resources website.
    • The Office of the Registrar cannot update the preferred name.  
Preferred Name FAQs


Online Name Change Form

PDF icon Printable Name Change Form

Questions? Please contact the UI Service Center at 319 384-4300 or