Student Records Policy- Dean of Students

This outlines general student FERPA rights.  The Student Records Policy is administered by the Dean of Students.

Student Rights Under FERPA

An eligible student is a student who is 18 years old or enrolled at the University of Iowa. Students may request viewing access to records, files, documents, and other materials requested and maintained by the University that contain information relating to the student. 

Requests should be sent to and will be managed on a case-by-case basis.

Students Have the Right To:

Seek amendment to an incorrect record

A student who wishes to ask the University of Iowa to amend a record should:

  • Submit a formal, written request to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Information to include in the request:
    • Student's University ID
    • Situation description or record adjustment requested
    • Faculty/staff member involved (if applicable)

After submission, the Office of the Registrar will facilitate the inquiry and will notify the student of the outcome.

If the outcome is not acceptable to the student, they may file a written request for a hearing to the Office of the Registrar. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures can be found in the University of Iowa Policy Manual.

Limit disclosure of directory information

Students are entitled to restrict the release of directory information, and former students may restrict address and telephone number.  A request to restrict directory information will remain in effect until revoked by the student:

  1. Log-in to MyUI using your HawkID and password.
  2. Select "Student Information" in the banner at the top of MyUI.
  3. Under "Student Life Management", select "Restrict or Unrestrict Student Information".
  4. On the the Student Data Restriction panel, students have the ability to remove their name and address from university phonebooks, restrict public release of their residing address and/or phone number, and prohit the release of academic information (major, college, class, degrees received, dates of attendance, and full/part-time status).

File complaints with the US Department of Education

If you believe your rights have been violated under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), please visit the Department of Education's File a Complaint webpage.