Resident Classification for Tuition Purposes


There are two classifications for tuition at the University of Iowa:  Resident and Nonresident.

To find current tuition and fee rates, please see the University of Iowa Tuition and Fees Rate Tables.


Generally, a student who has graduated from an Iowa high school, has financially responsible parents/guardian(s) residing in Iowa and/or is claimed annually as a tax dependent on Iowa resident income tax returns is classified as a Resident.

The Administrative Code of Iowa mandates that an individual who comes to Iowa for educational purposes is to be classified as a Nonresident. This intent is demonstrated by any number of factors, including the following:

  • Relying on others outside Iowa for financial support
  • Having applied for admission to an academic program of study, or a college or major, at the University but did not graduate from an Iowa high school
  • Having submitted an application to live in student housing, etc.

The burden of establishing that one is in Iowa for reasons other than education is upon the individual.


Effective May 1, 2017, the University of Iowa uses the following Iowa Tuition Classification guidelines and process: 

Individual students will submit a completed and signed Application for Resident Classification and all of the following documentation to support the application and demonstrate that they have been in Iowa for reasons other than education:

  • Lease or ownership of an Iowa residence during your qualifying year, minimum of 12 consecutive months; and
  • Pay statements for employment in Iowa for 1,560+ hours annually (full-time by IRS regulation, averaging at least 30 hours worked per week) for over 12 consecutive months, with Iowa tax withheld by your employer and demonstrated by regular pay statements; and
  • If you choose to be enrolled anywhere during your qualifying year, no more than a maximum of 6 s.h. during Fall or Spring semesters and a limit of of 4 s.h. over Summer at the undergraduate level; and
  • Complete the following within 45 days of arriving in Iowa:
    • Obtain an Iowa driver’s license (D.O.T.-issued ID, for non-drivers)
    • Register to vote in Iowa (U.S. citizens only)
    • If your name is on the title of a vehicle, obtain Iowa license plates; and
  • Begin filing your own annual Iowa resident income tax returns; and
  • No longer be claimed as a dependent by your parents nor anyone else on their tax returns; and
  • No reliance on financial resources outside Iowa.

Additional documentation that may be requested could include a certified copy of the student’s marriage license, parent’s job offer letter, current Iowa resident income tax return, affidavit of future tax-filing intention, lease or other proof of Iowa residence, Iowa utility bills for the new property, moving company bill of lading, copies of Iowa driver’s license, voter registration and/or vehicle registrations, pay statements showing Iowa withholding tax, final utility bills from former residence, etc.

Application deadlines can be found here [I think we can add this to and link people to the application web page and not direct them to the application. The dates can stay on the application, too.] Applications will not be accepted after the 15th day of classes for the term for which you are applying. 


Students who are veterans or dependents of veterans should contact the G.I. Bill Services Office to discuss the correct admission and tuition classification.