GI Bill Worksheet

All students wishing to use their GI Bill Benefits MUST complete the GI Bill Worksheet every year.   This worksheet authorizes the University of Iowa to certify enrollments with the VA, and covers Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring Sessions

PDF iconworksheet_fall2017_spring2018.pdf

Resident tuition for Veterans and Dependents

If you are a veteran or a dependent of a veteran, please contact us to see if you're eligible for in-state tuition.  319-335-3895

PDF iconclassification_10-12-162.pdf

Veterans Transition

Transitioning from military life to campus life can be challenging.  To help in that effort, we have developed a transition guide that outlines the steps needed to get your GI Bill Benefits rolling.

PDF icon2016_registrar_veterans_transition_guide.pdf

Veteran's Benefits and Services

The University of Iowa is approved as a training facility for veterans. The Office of Veterans Services is located in two places depending on need. The two offices together coordinate the University's services to the approximately 550 veterans attending classes and receiving veterans benefits.

Veteran Students at The University of Iowa who intend to receive VA Education benefits should contact the Office of GI Bill Services in 201C Communications Center  ( 319-335-3895 or 319-335-0226  fax 319-335-3761). 
You may email us at

Veterans may obtain the following services from this office:

  • Certification of enrollment for educational benefits
  • Tutorial assistance
  • Referrals for counseling for financial, vocational, and academic problems
  • Disability and Compensation claim filing
  • Veterans work study job information
  • Information about changes in legislative regulations which affect veterans
  • Information about University procedures and community services.

The Office of Veterans Services also acts as a direct liaison between The University of Iowa and the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office in St. Louis regarding underpayment, overpayment or nonpayment of benefits. The University of Iowa has no separate financial aid available for veterans at this time.

Veterans expecting to enroll under the educational benefits administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs may obtain application forms from the Office of Veterans Services if they have not previously established their eligibility with the Department of Veterans' Affairs. Transfer students, and returning students need to complete a Veterans Worksheet to confirm their intentions to re-enroll.

Certified copies of your separation papers, form DD-214, should be submitted with an initial application for benefits. Submission of a DD214 is not necessary for students who have used the benefit before. All forms should be sent to the Office of Veterans Services.

The first GI BILL benefit check will traditionally be received approximately six weeks after the first day of class.
Veterans benefit allowances, Department of Veterans Affairs programs and policies, and University of Iowa services and procedures frequently change. To obtain current information about VA benefits, your eligibility for benefits, rate and method of payment, or the address of the nearest regional office, call 1-888-442-4551.

Related programs and services available to veterans at The University of Iowa include:

  • Army and Air Force ROTC programs
  • Reserve and National Guard Units from all branches of the military
  • A major VA hospital on the University's west campus.

Military Activation Policy

See policy.


If you were previously enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) and are returning, or have returned, to the University of Iowa after an extended absence (four consecutive years or more), you may use the CLAS ReStart option to request removal of one or more of your previously completed CLAS academic sessions (i.e. semesters or winter/summer enrollments) from future grade point averages and satisfaction of degree requirements.  For more information, see policy.