What is changing?

Students can enter an optional preferred first name, in addition to their standard (legal) name, and select usage options for where that preferred name appears in university systems: limited or broad use

University of Iowa System and Usage Options
University of Iowa System Limited Usage Options Broad Usage Options
MAUI, Canvas, and ICON (for instructors and advisors) Standard Name and Preferred Name Standard Name and Preferred Name
Publicly-visible online directory [1] Standard Name Preferred Name
Name that accompanies your UI email address [2] Standard Name Preferred Name
University email address (first-last[at]uiowa.edu)[2] standardfirst-standardlast[at]uiowa.edu standardfirst-standardlast[at]uiowa.edu
HawkID [3] Generated based on Standard Name Generated based on Standard Name
University ID cards Standard Name on front and back Preferred Name on front, Standard Name on back
Systems used by other campus departments and units Standard Name Preferred Name, unless the system requires
Standard Name

[1]    Only one name type is searchable and appears in the publicly-visible online UI directory (Preferred Name if the user selects “Broad Use”, Standard Name if they select “Limited Use”)
[2]    Selecting “Broad Use” means that Preferred Name will accompany the user’s UI email address (in the address book and in to/from/cc lines), but the email address itself will not change; see Request to Change Email Alias for instructions for changing an email address
[3]    For instructions for changing a HawkID, see Change HawkID username
[4]    Some systems, including Human Resources systems such as Payroll and Benefits, require Standard Name, even if “Broad Use” was selected for Preferred Name

Do I have to enter a preferred first name?


Can I enter a preferred last name?

No. University business and systems require that your last name is your legal last name.

After I enter my preferred first name, when will it appear in university systems?

 Please allow at least one business day for university systems to refresh.

My current standard name is not my legal name. How do I change my standard name back to my legal name?

Submit a Name Change form

I need a new university ID card with my preferred first name.

After you have added your preferred first name (MyUI student portal), you can request a new ID card at the Iowa One Card Center, 2700 University Capitol Centre (UCC). The replacement fee for the new card will be charged to your U-Bill. Bring your old ID card, if available. Bring a photo ID with your legal name on it for verification.

Can I choose any name for my preferred first name?

No. Your preferred first name must be a name you truly use to identify yourself, and the university will not accept a preferred first name that is vulgar or offensive, obscene, fanciful, or creates confusion with another person. See the Preferred First Name Policy .

I have questions about this. Who can I contact for more information?