March 7, 2018 Student Academic Services Users Group Minutes
Time and Location:
Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2 - 3pm in 2520-D UCC
1. MAUI Reporting
Karna Wieck - CLAS and Becky Tjelmeland - ITS presented the New MAUI Reporting Template
A project to update and enhance MAUI reports is currently underway. This project will standardize MAUI reports across all areas (Admissions, Advising, Billing, Financial Aid and Registrar) by using best practices and making design enhancements. A new MAUI-wide reporting template will have new design standards including: a MAUI-blue color palette and consistent titling, branding, filtering, and data displays. New reports will be created using the new standards/template and existing reports will be upgraded over time.
In the future, MAUI reports will be published in Campus Data in addition to MAUI. Campus Data supports more detailed categorization of reports and allows you to tag “favorite” reports.
Newly Enhanced MAUI Reports.
- Course Enrollment Trend - This report shows current and opt enrollment counts at the course section level for one or multiple sessions and selections can be made on the snapshot type and date(s).
- Historical Course Enrollments Counts - This report shows current and opt enrollment counts at the course level for one or multiple sessions using census and daily snapshots.
- Schedule Builder Counts - This report shows counts by course section and includes Schedule Builder Course Cart, Unsatisfied Waitlist, Registration Status, Enrollments, Room Number/Capacity, and Primary Instructor. Selections can be made by course subject and registration status.
2. New Proof Period
Renee Houser and Charlene Maher - Office of the Registrar - Classroom Scheduling announced the New Proof Period.
“New Proof Period” will be begin with spring 2019. Offerings Planner will reopen two weeks prior to MyUI Course Offerings available and Schedule Builder available. This will give departments an opportunity to submit their course changes and additions through workflow and have our office process as many of them as we can before MyUI and Schedule Builder open up. We’re hoping this will be of great benefit to the students in their schedule planning.
Spring 2019 dates are:
|Planner Open to Depts. for Editing||September 24, 2018|
|MyUI Course Offerings available||October 8, 2018|
|Schedule Builder available||October 8, 2018|
Becky Tjelmeland and Bill Evanson- ITS talked about updates to Waitlists.
Recently, the Waitlist Advisory Group met to discuss enhancements that could benefit both administrator and students. Below is a comprehensive list of possible changes under review.
- Improve interface for manually prioritizing waitlists
- Provide more information about students on the waitlist management page
- Support for pre-determined prioritization schemes (first in first out, majors first, etc)
- Ability to have seat reservations and waitlists to work together
- When opening a new section, seed the waitlist with waitlisted students not enrolled in course
- Better tools for contacting students on waitlists
- Remove students from other waitlists for the same course automatically when student accepts seat.
- Ability to accept seat administratively on behalf of student (if you have registration rights)
- Enhanced reporting
- Improve Student Interface
- Automatically remove students from other waitlists for a course when accepting a seat
- Ability for student to see waitlist length (transparency)
- Show students selected prioritization scheme (transparency)
- Improve Communication
4. Student Billing Agreement
Marty Miller - Billing Office discussed the new Student Billing Agreement
Beginning February 5th, the Billing office instituted a new Student Billing Agreement. The Student Billing Agreement displays when students first log-in to MyUI. If the agreement is not signed, then a registration restriction, “Unsigned Student Agreement”, is placed on their record. When it went live, students were asked to sign for spring 2018, summer and fall 2018. Registration restriction will not take effect until summer and fall 2018. In the future, students will be prompted to agree when an academic session is created in MAUI.
Direct student questions the Billing Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or UI Service Center.
5. Graduation App / Commencement Sign-up
Alysha Ahlf - Office of the Registrar - Commencement
Iowa Graduation App
Alysha Ahlf gave an overview of the Iowa Graduation App, highlighting most-used content from Fall 2017. The app is updated with spring 2018 content and will be marketed this spring via social media, table tents at the IMU, digital signage, and promotion during the Grad Fair. It can be downloaded via the Apple and Google Play stores by searching for “Iowa Graduation.”
Commencement Volunteer Opportunity
Alysha Ahlf also explained that the Office of the Registrar is seeking individuals to assist with the 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. undergraduate ceremonies on Saturday, May 12 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Total time commitment is around 2 hours. Our commencement volunteers make the commencement experience special for graduates and their guests, and we greatly appreciate the help! If you’re interested, you can sign up here.
6. Print Calendar Survey
Josh Hutchison - Office of the Registrar did not present at the meeting but would still appreciate feedback on the use of the 2017-18 Academic Print Calendar. The Office of the Registrar is in discussions with UI Printing about a possible redesign of the Academic Print Calendar.
Your participation by filling out this brief survey would be very helpful in determining audience expectations of the print calendar.
- Midterm Class Lists are open from March 1, to March 22, 2018
- Summer Early Registration is March 5, to March 9, 2018
- Fall 2018 Registration Day/Time assignments posted March 5, 2018.
- Textbook Reminders: All textbook and resource orders should be finalized in MAUI by Early Registration, but in no event later than four weeks prior to the start of the semester in which the textbook is to be used by students.
- The next meeting will be Wednesday, April 4, 2018. Past meeting minutes and future meeting invites are available on the Office of the Registrar website.