Directory information consists of information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if publicly available. Directory Information is considered public and may be released without the student’s written permission, however cannot be released if the student has restricted access by updating their personal information in MyUI.
- Directory Information CANNOT include: race, gender, SSN (or part of the SSN), grades, GPA, country of citizenship, or religion. Except in very specific circumstances, a student ID number also cannot be considered directory information.
- Every student must be given the opportunity to “opt out” or have directory information
- suppressed from public release.
- A “no release” does NOT mean that a school official within the institution who has a demonstrated legitimate educational interest cannot access the information.
Directory Information includes:
- Local Address
- Local Telephone number
- Permanent/Home Address
- Hometown and state
- E-mail address
- University of Iowa Hawk ID
- Programs of study (field(s) of study and degree objective being sought)
- College(s) enrolled in
- Dates of attendance, (including current classification or year)
- Full-time/part-time enrollment status
- Photographs and video recordings of students in public and non-classroom settings
- Registration in a study abroad program
- Degrees, certificates, honors, scholarships, and awards received and date awarded as well as those applied for during the current academic term
- Information about participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Job title, employing department, work phone number, and work address when employed in a position that requires student status
Students can restrict either their directory information (items 2 through 6 above), their academic information (items 7 through 11 above), or both. This is accomplished on MyUI, under Student Records, Student Life Management, Restrict or Unrestrict Student Information. Alternately, a student could submit a signed written request to the Office of the Registrar, 1 Jessup Hall.
Please note the Office of the Registrar will process requests to restrict the release of directory information. However, note some information already published/released may not be retractable with respect to a student’s change in restriction status. A request to restrict directory information will remain in effect until revoked by the student either by using the application on MyUI or in writing.
University Officials (Dean of Students, Registrar, Provost) may release non-directory information to a third party in the case of an emergency when knowledge of information is necessary to protect the health or safety of students or other persons.
Information must not be released to third parties outside of the University, including parents of students, without the student’s written consent. See the section titled “Parental Rights” for more information.