Requesting a Duplicate Copy of Your University of Iowa Diploma
If your original University of Iowa diploma is lost or destroyed you may order a duplicate copy of your diploma online.
Please allow 3 weeks for your diploma to be printed and then mailed/shipped to you.
If you are a spring 2022 graduate, diplomas will be released 6-8 weeks after graduation, and sent to the diploma delivery address you provide on your degree application on MyUI. Please do not request a duplicate copy of spring 2022 diplomas until after July 1, 2022.
- Your name on the diploma will appear as it does on your UI student records unless you submit the Name Change Form with the required documentation to support the name change.
- All duplicate diplomas will have the notation "Duplicate diploma issued" with the issue date in the lower left corner.
- A duplicate copy of a diploma will not be issued to former students whose University account is restricted for past due U-Bill payment.
- All UI Diplomas are 8 1/2" x 11".
- The UI does not issue digital diplomas.
- The diploma will be sent to you through US Postal Service unless FedEx delivery is requested. FedEx is recommended for international delivery. FedEx charges are billed through the University Billing Office, and once charges have been billed, U-Bill payments may be made several ways. Please contact University Billing Office to find out more about payment options. Cash or credit card payment cannot be accepted when ordering your replacement diploma.
- U.S./Domestic FedEx - Standard Overnight - $15 domestic shipping fee
- International FedEx - International Priority - $45 international shipping fee
Transcripts and Degree Verifications
Alumni can also obtain a degree verification, showing the degrees they have earned, once degrees have been conferred. Degree verifications can be obtained 3 ways.
- Alumni can print their own degree verification by using their HawkID and password through MyUI.
- In person: Verification letters can be obtained in person at the UI Service Center, 2700 University Capitol Centre (UCC).
- Degree verifications can be requested through the National Student Clearinghouse at: https://registrar.uiowa.edu/verifications
Notarized Copies of University of Iowa Diplomas
A notarized copy is a photocopy of an existing diploma printed on security paper, notarized, and embossed with the University of Iowa's seal. This kind of documentation is often used for licensing boards, visas, etc. You must have your original University of Iowa diploma or a duplicate copy of your diploma in order to obtain notarized copies. If you do not have your original diploma please follow the instructions above to order a duplicate copy of your diploma from which notarized copies may be made.
Notarized copies require an original, full-sized photocopy or scanned image of the original UI diploma. Email scanned images to email@example.com or send a photocopy to Graduation Services, 2700 UCC, Iowa City, IA 52242. There is no charge for up to 5 notarized copies of your diploma. If questions arise, please call (319) 335-0228.
If you are ordering a duplicate diploma and wish to have notarized copies of that diploma, please be sure to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting the notarized copies.