To: Departmental Administrators and DEOs
From: Char Maher and Caroline Jens, Final Examinations - Office of the Registrar
Subject: Summer 2017 Final Exam Assignment Needs
Date: April 12, 2017
This message is intended for those Academic Departmental Administrators, Chairs, Directors, and DEOs offering Summer 2017 courses. If you are with a professional college that does not follow the final exam schedule set by the Office of the Registrar, please scroll down for the appropriate information regarding final exams.
Summer 2017 Final Exams
It's time to begin preparing for Summer 2017 Final Exams.
During the summer session, faculty have the opportunity to administer the final exam/assessment for their course either:
- during their last regularly scheduled course meeting time; or
- on the respective Friday final exam date for their subsession
Summer 2017 final exam dates.
- 4-Week Session: Friday, June 9, 2017
- 6-Week I Session: Friday, June 23, 2017
- 12-Week, 8-Week, and 6-Week II Sessions: Friday, August 4, 2017
Submission. Faculty who wish to administer a Friday final exam must submit their needs online by using the "Final Exam Needs" submission application in MAUI.
Deadline. Departments must submit their requests no later than Friday, April 28, 2017, 4:30pm.
Instructions and Policies. Instructions and scheduling policies are located on the Office of the Registrar's website.
- Each department is responsible for submitting final exam needs for all subjects for which their department is administrative home. This includes undergraduate and graduate level courses, and courses with or without final exam assignment needs.
- Website includes scheduling criteria by which final exam assignments will be made in the event we either receive incomplete information or we do not receive any information from a department by the submission deadline.
Incomplete submissions. Please be aware by submitting incomplete or no information, you may be unnecessarily tying up exam resources which are needed by others.
Late submissions. Requests made after the schedule has been published will require written approval from the Chair/DEO and the Dean of the department responsible for the course. All requests must include the curricular justification for the late addition or release. Note: Course sections granted final exam assignments after the schedule has been published are responsible for administering makeup final exams regardless of exam precedence rules.
Faculty review. There will not be a faculty review opportunity due to the very short turn-around time involved with producing the summer schedules.
We understand the Carver College of Medicine and the College of Dentistry, Law, and Pharmacy maintain their own final exam schedules and generally do not follow the final exam schedule set by the Office of the Registrar.
We recognize that some departments offer courses that allow undergraduate student enrollment. You can request a final exam assignment from the Office of the Registrar for these course sections in order to reduce the likelihood of exam conflicts for undergraduate students. This can potentially help limit the need for makeup final exam arrangements by your instructors.
Departments can request a final exam assignment from the Office of the Registrar by using the "Final Exam Needs" submission application in MAUI. Instructions and scheduling policies are located on the Office of the Registrar's website, if needed. Requests should be submitted no later than Friday, April 28, 2017, 4:30pm.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.