Under Iowa law, a student who comes to Iowa and enrolls as a full-time student in a program of study is presumed to be in Iowa for educational purposes, and therefore a nonresident student for admission and tuition purposes. An out-of-state student who starts their first year at the University of Iowa on a full-time basis (12 s.h. or more) and who later reduces their enrollment to a part-time basis while continuing to live in University residence halls would, for example, be presumed to be a non-resident student.

In order to be consistent with the Iowa residency requirements, the University of Iowa, effective May 1, 2017, will be using the following Iowa Tuition Classification guidelines and process.


Iowa Tuition Classification

There are two classifications for tuition at the University of Iowa: Iowa Resident and Nonresident.

Generally, a student who has completed the majority of K-12 education in Iowa, has financially responsible parents/guardian(s) residing in Iowa and/or is claimed annually as a tax dependent on Iowa resident income tax returns is classified as a Resident.

The Administrative Code of Iowa instructs that an individual who comes to Iowa for educational purposes is to be classified as a Nonresident. This intent is demonstrated by any number of factors, including the following: relying on others (parents, guardians) outside Iowa for financial support, having applied for admission to an academic program of study (a major) at the University when you did not graduate from an Iowa high school, having submitted an application to live in campus housing, etc.

Thus, generally, an upcoming/recent graduate of an out-of-state high school intending to enroll at the University will be classified as a Nonresident. Generally, a student’s classification remains unchanged during their academic career, barring a substantial change in circumstance (for example, marriage to an Iowa resident, service in the Iowa National Guard or relocation of the student’s household to Iowa due to new, permanent Iowa employment of the financially responsible parent/guardian).

For additional information, visit the Office of the Registrar’s website at: https://registrar.uiowa.edu/residency

If there are unusual or unique circumstances, a student can submit an Application for Resident Classification along with their own Iowa income tax returns and parents' income tax returns for consideration. Additional documentation may be requested.

It is the student’s obligation to prove that they are in the state of Iowa for reasons other than education.  The student will submit a completed and signed Application for Resident Classification. Written details and extensive supporting documents are expected. These could include a certified copy of the individual’s marriage license, parent’s job offer letter, current Iowa resident income tax return, affidavit of future tax-filing intention, lease or other proof of Iowa residence, Iowa utility bills for the new property, moving company bill of lading, copies of Iowa driver’s license, voter registration and/or vehicle registrations, pay statements showing Iowa withholding tax, final utility bills from former residence, etc.

The student will be expected to submit all of the following documentation to demonstrate that they have been in Iowa for reasons other than education:

  • Employment in Iowa for 1,560+ hours annually (that’s full-time by IRS regulation, averaging at least 30 hours worked per week) for over 12 consecutive months, with Iowa tax withheld by your employer and demonstrated by regular pay statements; and
  • If you choose to be enrolled anywhere during your qualifying year, no more than a maximum of 6 s.h. during Fall or Spring semesters and a limit of of 4 s.h. over Summer at the undergraduate level; and
  • Within 45 days of arriving in Iowa, obtain an Iowa driver’s license (D.O.T.-issued ID, for non-drivers), register to vote in Iowa (U.S. citizens only) and, if your name is on the title of a vehicle, Iowa license plates; and
  • Begin filing your own annual Iowa resident income tax returns; and
  • No longer be claimed as a dependent by your parents nor anyone else on their tax returns; and
  • No reliance on financial resources outside Iowa.

The University of Iowa Nonresident Review Committee fields appeals from denials of residency applications. In appealing an initial nonresident determination, the student will be expected to demonstrate that they have been in Iowa for reasons other than education.

The Application for Resident Classification is located here:  https://registrar.uiowa.edu/application-resident-classification

Tuition tables are located here:  https://www.maui.uiowa.edu/maui/pub/tuition/rates.page

[Please understand these Guidelines and the related administrative rules could potentially be changed.]                 

February 1, 2017; pronouns updated December 2021