Congratulations on your upcoming Graduation!  This page will act as a guide to your Graduation preparation: how to apply for degree, participate in Commencement Ceremonies, and transition into Alumni Status.

Degree Application:

  • To ensure you are ready to apply for a degree, please see the Degree Application page before applying.
  • Apply for degree via MyUI. The Degree Application link can be found under Student Information > Degree Application. Application deadlines can be found on the Academic Calendar. Applications submitted after the deadline will incur a $20 late fee.
  • The name on your diploma and transcript will appear as it does in MyUI. Confirm your Official Student Records Name via MyUI at Student Information > Preferred Name/Pronouns. Please note that your Official Student Records Name is on the left. This is the name that will be used on credentialing documents. If a name change is necessary complete the Name Change Form and submit it with required documentation at least one month prior to your intended degree conferral.
  • Confirm the Diploma Mailing Address on your Degree Application via MyUIupdate as necessary. This address will only be used for mailing your diploma. An inaccurate Diploma Mailing Address will delay diploma delivery. Additional information can be found on the Diplomas page.


  • Visit the Ceremonies and Events page to ensure you know when and where your ceremony is being held. Please note that commencement attendance is not required for degree conferral.
  • Purchase your cap and gown, and other optional merchandise commemorating this milestone, at the Iowa Hawk Shop. Apparel sales dates are listed on the Apparel Information (Cap & Gown) webpage.
  • Students interested in early participation: forms must be completed independently of Degree Applications. See the Early Participation page for more information.

Transition to Alumni Status: 

  • Update your Residing Address via MyUI; future communications from the University of Iowa will be sent to this address.
  • Remit payment for any outstanding balance on your U-Bill via MyUI. Transcripts and diplomas may not be released until your balance is paid in full.
  • First Destination Survey - Let the Career Center know about what you are doing next (job/continuing education/etc.). This information helps future Hawkeyes explore what they can do with their major.
  • Update Email Routing Address via MyUI.  To see how your technology services will be impacted by graduation visit IT Service Information for Graduating Students
  • Financial Aid impacts each student differently; student borrowers should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid to determine if exit counseling is required.
  • Cancel student health insurance if enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
  • Email the Parking Office or call (319) 335-6647 to cancel your parking or bus pass.