GI Bill® Worksheet

All students wishing to use their GI Bill Benefits MUST complete the GI Bill Worksheet every year.   This worksheet authorizes the University of Iowa to certify enrollments with the Veterans Affairs (VA), and covers Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring Sessions

Veteran Worksheet

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is a document the VA sends to the student verifying benefit eligibility.  The COE must be on file so the billing department can confirm the availability of funds from the VA.  Fund recipients should email their COE to or bring it to the VET Services office at 2706 University Capitol Centre.

GE CLAS Core International & Global Issues: Satisfied by Military Overseas Service

Veterans in College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS) who have been deployed overseas may have the International and Global Issues GE CLAS Core requirement satisfied by this military service if such service is noted on the Veteran’s DD-214 form. DD-214 forms should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. If you believe you should qualify, but it is not noted on your degree audit, please email or visit the VET Services office at 2706 University Capitol Centre.

The IGI requirement will be satisfied by this overseas service, but no credit will be awarded and there will be no reduction in the hours needed for graduation.

This policy applies to both new students and those continuing in CLAS.

Resident Tuition for Veterans and Dependents

If you are a Veteran or a dependent of a Veteran, please contact us to inquire about in-state tuition eligibility by emailing or calling (319) 335-3895

PDF iconclassification_10-12-162.pdf

Veteran Transition

Transitioning from military life to campus life can be challenging.  To help in that effort, we have developed a transition guide that outlines the steps needed to get your GI Bill Benefits rolling.

PDF iconguide_for_military_affiliated_and_veteran_students_11-18_002.pdf

Veteran Benefits and Services

The University of Iowa is approved as a training facility for veterans. Veteran Services are located in two places depending upon services needed. The two offices together coordinate the University's services to the approximately 550 Veterans attending classes and receiving Veteran benefits.

Veteran Students at The University of Iowa who intend to receive VA Education benefits should contact VET Services in 2706 University Capitol Centre  ( 319-335-3895 or 319-335-0226  fax 319-335-3761). 
You may email us at

Veterans may obtain the following services from this office:

  • Certification of enrollment for educational benefits
  • Tutorial assistance
  • Referrals for counseling for financial, vocational, and academic problems
  • Disability and Compensation claim filing
  • Veterans work study job information
  • Information about changes in legislative regulations which affect veterans
  • Information about University procedures and community services

The Office of Veterans Services also acts as a direct liaison between The University of Iowa and the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office in St. Louis regarding underpayment, overpayment or nonpayment of benefits. The University of Iowa has no separate financial aid available for veterans at this time.

Veterans expecting to enroll under the educational benefits administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs may obtain application forms from the Office of Veterans Services if they have not previously established their eligibility with the Department of Veterans' Affairs. Transfer students, and returning students need to complete a Veterans Worksheet to confirm their intentions to re-enroll.

Certified copies of your separation papers, form DD-214, should be submitted with an initial application for benefits. Submission of a DD214 is not necessary for students who have used the benefit before. All forms should be sent to the Office of Veterans Services.

The first GI BILL benefit check will traditionally be received approximately six weeks after the first day of class.
Veterans benefit allowances, Department of Veterans Affairs programs and policies, and University of Iowa services and procedures frequently change. To obtain current information about VA benefits, your eligibility for benefits, rate and method of payment, or the address of the nearest regional office, call 1-888-442-4551.

Related programs and services available to veterans at The University of Iowa include:

  • Army and Air Force ROTC programs
  • Reserve and National Guard Units from all branches of the military
  • A major VA hospital on the University's west campus

Military Activation Policy

See policy.


If you were previously enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) and are returning, or have returned, to the University of Iowa after an extended absence (four consecutive years or more), you may use the CLAS ReStart option to request removal of one or more of your previously completed CLAS academic sessions (i.e. semesters or winter/summer enrollments) from future grade point averages and satisfaction of degree requirements.  For more information, see policy.


Section 103 Compliance Policy

ALL students that have completed their GI Bill Benefits worksheet and have been certified by the University, will not be restricted in any way for the first 90 days of a semester if the reason for the delay in making payments for the certified semester is due to a delay in receipt of benefits from the VA.  This will include assessing late fees, charging restrictions or registration holds.   After the 90 days, the University will treat each Veteran on a case by case basis.