Please see below for Office of the Registrar operational and policy updates due to Covid-19.
Course Modality (Delivery Mode) Changes - Updated 1/19/21
Late (after January 1) modality (delivery mode) changes must be approved by the associate dean(s) of the college prior to submitting a request to revise the course. Department Administrators are not able to update delivery modes. The way to get delivery modes updated is to submit a revise offering form by clicking on the Time/Location link in the offering.
Please follow this process for requesting modality changes for Spring 2021 courses until January 25:
- Obtain approval to change course modality from associate dean(s).
- Send approval verification to email@example.com, including course number(s).
- Submit a revise offering form for each course section where a modality change is needed.
- On the revise offering form indicate approval has been granted by the college.
- After course changes are made, email all enrolled students notifying them of changes to the course.
- After course changes are made, update the registration information field in the course offering with the new information about how the course will function.
Course Modality Changes beginning January 25, 2021
Modality changes should no longer be requested via revise offering form beginning January 25. Beginning January 25, Instructors will need to submit a form through Workflow to request modality changes, as was the process for fall 2020.
- Spring 2021 will function similarly to fall 2020 with 50 or more optimum enrollment offered virtually/online, and 49 and below offered in a mix of modalities.
- We will continue to operate on a reduced seating capacity across all instructional spaces on campus.
- All full session course offerings’ start dates were programmatically adjusted from the original start date of Tuesday, January 19 to Monday, January 25, 2021.
- All off-cycle sections require manual adjustment by departments during our resubmission period or a revised course workflow slip once Planner is closed on Tuesday, October 6, 2020.
The university will follow the current Academic Calendar, with the spring 2021 semester beginning January 25 and ending on May 14. There will be no Spring Break week.
Additionally, Tuesday, March 2 and Wednesday, April 14 have been designated as dates where no instruction, exams, or any other coursework are to be scheduled/expected.
Classroom Scheduling COVID-19 Information
Please visit this page for:
- Information intended to inform students, staff, and faculty of what they can expect in the University Classrooms for the spring 2021 semester.
- A spreadsheet listing all University and Department classrooms and their spring 2021 capacities.
- COVID-19 frequently asked questions regarding classroom spaces.
Registration Information - Spring 2021
Please see Changes in Registration Process for instructions on how to add, drop. section change and hours change, as these instructions remain the same for spring 2021. Contact the UI Service Center with questions.
Fall 2020 Diploma Information Update
Please Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Diploma Services must make adjustments to diploma delivery options. See below for Domestic and International delivery options.
Clarification of end of academic year and expectations for finals week: There is no change in the end date of the academic year. The last day of classes is May 7 and finals week is May 10 through May 14.
Faculty should communicate their final exam or alternate assessment (such as take home exams, papers, etc.) plans to their students directly for final exam week.
Spring 2021 Final Exam Memos:
Summer 2020 and Fall 2020
The University of Iowa will not be offering special grading options for Summer 2020 and Fall 2020.
Spring 2020 Grading Options
Due to the unusual circumstances in Spring 2020, The University added special grading options for students. See for more information. For more information, please review the help documentation provided by:
- Academic Advising Center
- Office of The Registrar
Tuition and Fees
There was an announcement made to the University of Iowa campus community regarding Tuition and Fees.
More information can be found on the Office of the Provost page: https://provost.uiowa.edu/temporary-changes-academic-deadlines-and-policies-undergraduate-students-spring-2020 and the University of Iowa Covid-19 page: https://coronavirus.uiowa.edu/