Students should select the diploma delivery option that best meets their individual needs and circumstances. As a general rule, international students may be best served by having their diplomas delivered using Fed Ex International Priority, but any of the following options may be used.
Fed Ex International Priority
Students listing an international diploma mailing address on their Degree Application on MyUI will be given the option of using Fed Ex delivery. You will receive an email from Diploma Services on December 8, 2016. If you would like to have your diploma delivered using FedEx International Priority, you must respond to this email by January 3, 2017.
- Advantages of using FedEx: Faster and more reliable delivery (up to 3 days after Fed Ex ships) with a tracking number to allow you to track the status of your shipment.
- Disadvantages of using FedEx: Cost; there are additional fees added to your U-Bill. To determine the cost, see the FedEx rate finder.
Your email request for FedEx International Priority should include:
- Your name.
- Your University ID number.
- The address - including postal code - where you would like your diploma delivered.
- An email address - other than your UI email address - that FedEx can use to contact you with your tracking number after your diploma has been shipped.
- An international phone number that FedEx can use to contact you, if necessary.
- The following text: I would like my diploma sent by FedEx International Priority and agree to pay the fees assessed by FedEx that will be charged to my U-Bill.
It is your responsibility to make sure FedEx can deliver to the address you provide. If your diploma is returned to the UI because it cannot be delivered, the FedEx shipping fees and the return fees will be charged to your U-Bill.
Ask Diploma Services To Hold Your Diploma
If you will not be leaving Iowa City for 6 weeks or more after you graduate and would like to pick up your diploma or you are unsure where you will be residing after graduation, you may request that Diploma Services hold your diploma for you.
If you would like to have your diploma held, you must respond to the email you will receive from Diploma Services on December 8, 2016. Please respond no later than January 3, 2017.
Your email request to have your diploma held should include:
- Your name.
- Your University ID number.
- The following text: I would like Diploma Services to hold my diploma for in-person pick up. I understand all future correspondence about picking up my diploma must come from my UI email address and I will take the necessary steps to keep my UI email active.
- To learn how to keep your UI Office 365 Email Account active, see Your Office 365 Account after Graduation.
- Additional information about IT Services for Graduating Students can be found at Services Impacted by Graduation
United States Postal Service (USPS) First Class International Mail
This is the default method of diploma delivery for students listing an international diploma mailing address.
A mailing label, in English, will be printed using the diploma mailing address entered on your Degree Application.
If you'd like for us to use a second label with your name and address in our native language, you may send an email to Diploma Services at firstname.lastname@example.org with that information.
You may also come to Diploma Services, 34 Macbride Hall, and complete a second mailing label in your native language to facilitate delivery of your diploma. This label must be completed by January 3, 2017. (Some University offices may be closed or have reduced staff between December 24th and January 1st in observance of the Winter holidays).
- Advantages of using USPS: Cost; there are no additional fees added to your U-Bill. However, if you provide an incorrect diploma mailing address and your diploma does not arrive you will be assessed a $10 reissuing fee on your U-Bill.
- Disadvantages of of using USPS:
- The reliability of the diploma being delivered is inconsistent, diplomas are frequently lost, and/or may take up to 8-10 weeks to arrive. You must wait at least 8 weeks before the UI will issue another diploma to you.
- There is no tracking number or way to determine where your diploma is after it has been mailed.