Students should select the diploma delivery option that best meets their individual needs and circumstances. As a general rule, international students may be best served by having their diplomas delivered using Fed Ex International Priority, but any of the following options may be used.
You will receive an email from Graduation Analysis on April 19, 2017 and again on May 1, 2017. This email will serve as a reminder to update your Diploma Mailing Address on your degree application on MyUI before the deadline on May 5, 2017. In addition, the email will provide brief information about Diploma Delivery Options. If you wish to choose Fed Ex delivery or have your diploma held for you to pick up at a later time, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fed Ex International Priority
Students listing an international diploma mailing address on their Degree Application on MyUI will be given the option of using Fed Ex delivery. If you wish to choose Fed Ex delivery please contact email@example.com. Your response with the required information is required no later than May 19, 2017.
- Advantages of using FedEx: Faster and more reliable delivery (up to 3 days after Fed Ex ships) with a tracking number to allow you to track the status of your shipment.
- Disadvantages of using FedEx: Cost; Fed Ex fees will be added to your U-Bill. To determine the cost, see the FedEx rate finder.
Your email request for FedEx International Priority should include:
- Your name.
- Your University ID number.
- The address - including postal code - where you would like your diploma delivered.
- An email address - other than your UI email address - that FedEx can use to contact you with your tracking number after your diploma has been shipped.
- An international phone number that FedEx can use to contact you, if necessary.
- The following text: I would like my diploma sent by FedEx International Priority and agree to pay the fees assessed by FedEx that will be charged to my U-Bill.
It is your responsibility to make sure FedEx can deliver to the address you provide. If your diploma is returned to the UI because it cannot be delivered, the FedEx shipping fees and the return fees will be also charged to your U-Bill.
Ask Diploma Services To Hold Your Diploma
If you will not be leaving Iowa City for 6 weeks or more after graduation and would like to pick up your diploma or you are unsure where you will be residing after graduation and you would like to delay delivery, you may request that Diploma Services hold your diploma for you.
If you wish to pick up your diploma in-person or delay delivery please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Your response with the required information is required no later than May 19, 2017.
Your email request to have your diploma held should include:
- Your name.
- Your University ID number.
- The following text: I would like Diploma Services to hold my diploma for in-person pick up. I understand all future correspondence about picking up my diploma must come from my UI email address and I will take the necessary steps to keep my UI email active.
United States Postal Service (USPS) First Class International Mail
This is the default method of diploma delivery for students listing an international diploma mailing address.
A mailing label, in English, will be printed using the Diploma Mailing Address entered on your Degree Application on MyUI. (Deadline to update this address is May 5, 2017.)
- Advantages of using USPS: Cost; there are no additional fees added to your U-Bill. However, if you provide an incorrect diploma mailing address and your diploma does not arrive you will be assessed a $10 reissuing fee on your U-Bill.
- Disadvantages of of using USPS:
- The reliability of the diploma being delivered is inconsistent, diplomas are frequently lost, and/or may take up to 8-10 weeks to arrive. You must wait at least 8 weeks before the UI will issue another diploma to you.
- There is no tracking number or way to determine where your diploma is after it has been mailed.
Diplomas will not be released to students who have outstanding U-Bill balances.
To learn how to keep your UI Office 365 Email Account active, see Your Office 365 Account after Graduation.
Additional information about IT Services for Graduating Students can be found at Services Impacted by Graduation