Diplomas will be printed off-campus and released about 6 weeks after graduation. They will either be taken directly to the Post Office for USPS delivery or returned to our office to process for Fed Ex delivery or make available for student pick-up.
International students may want to consider picking up their diploma in person, or having it delivered with FedEx delivery. United States Postal Service (USPS) International delivery is not reliable and there is no tracking number. To update the Diploma Delivery Address, or choose your diploma delivery method, open your degree application in MyUI and click on the (edit) link to the left side of the screen. Scroll down to Diploma Delivery Information. Following the diploma address you will see Delivery Method options. International students who live in the United States please choose USPS First Class Mail.
FedEx International Priority
To request FedEx delivery you may choose Fed Ex as your Diploma Delivery Method on your degree application on MyUI. Your diploma will be printed about 6 weeks after graduation and returned to our office to process it for FedEx delivery. (FedEx deliveries are prepared individually on-campus and thus are dispatched over the course of several days.) Once it is in their possession, FedEx will send you an email with a tracking number.
- Advantages of using FedEx: Faster and more reliable delivery (up to 3 days after FedEx ships) with a tracking number to allow you to track the status of your shipment.
- Disadvantages of using FedEx: Cost; a $45 FedEx fee will be charged to your U-Bill.
Most charges for FedEx delivery of May 2020 diplomas will appear on the May 1st U-Bill. *By requesting Fed Ex delivery of your diploma, you agree to pay the FedEx fees that will be posted to your U-Bill. International payments may be made using Flywire. If customers are unable to pay with Flywire, please contact Treasury Operations to obtain alternative bank transfer instructions.
*It is your responsibility to make sure FedEx can deliver to the address you provide. If your diploma is returned to the UI because it cannot be delivered, the FedEx shipping fees and the return fees will be also charged to your U-Bill.
Student Pick-up or Hold Diploma
Diplomas will be available for Student Pick-up approximately 6 weeks after graduation, during office hours, 8:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you will not be able to pick up your diploma because you are no longer in Iowa City, you are working, etc., please choose another delivery method. We do not release diplomas to anyone but the student who earned the degree. We’ll send you an email when your diploma is available for you to pick up in person, with photo ID.
If you are unsure of where you will be residing after graduation, choose Student Pick-up, so your diploma will be sent back to our office. You can let us know once you have relocated and updated your Residing Address on MyUI and we will send your diploma to you.
If you are unsure of where you will be residing after graduation, choose Student Pick-up. You can let us know once you have relocated and updated your Residing Address on MyUI and we will send your diploma to you.
United States Postal Service (USPS) First Class International Mail
This delivery method is not recommended for international mail is not reliable and there is no tracking number.)
A mailing label, in English, will be printed using the Diploma Mailing Address entered on your Degree Application on MyUI. (Deadline to update this address is May 8, 2020.)
- Advantages of using USPS: Cost; there are no additional fees added to your U-Bill. However, if you provide an incorrect diploma mailing address and you do not receive your diploma when it is mailed, you will be assessed a $10 reissuing fee on your U-Bill if we have to order a new diploma and mail to you a second time.
- Disadvantages of using USPS:
- The reliability of the diploma being delivered is inconsistent, diplomas are frequently lost, and may take up to 8-10 weeks to arrive. You must wait at least 8 weeks before the UI will issue another diploma to you.
- There is no tracking number or way to determine where your diploma is after it has been mailed.
Diplomas will not be released to students who have outstanding U-Bill balances.
To learn how to keep your UI Office 365 Email Account active, see Your Office 365 Account after Graduation.
Additional information about IT Services for Graduating Students can be found at Services Impacted by Graduation