TO: Enrolled Students for Fall 2016
FROM: Larry Lockwood - Office of the Registrar (firstname.lastname@example.org)
SUBJECT: Fall 2016 Welcome Back!
Classes at the University of Iowa begin Monday, August 22, 2016. You are receiving this email because you are currently enrolled or are eligible to enroll for the Fall 2016 semester. If you are not returning this semester, please scroll to the end of this email for more information on dropping your enrollment.
NEW Fall 2016
- Online Drop Process- Beginning Monday, August 29, 2016 all students can continue to drop courses in MyUI throughout the entire semester as long as they obtain the required permissions. Students will need to process adds, section changes, and hours changes by submitting a Change of Registration Form with required signatures to the Registrar’s Service Center.
- University Records and Document Fee- Beginning Fall 2016, all new enrollments at the University of Iowa will be assessed a one-time University Records and Document Fee.
- Electronic Transcripts- Effective July 5, 2016, PDFs of University of Iowa transcripts are available to send electronically. Transcripts can be requested through MyUI or the Online Transcript Request Form. If a form needs to accompany a transcript, the Office of the Registrar will require a delivery method of paper.
- Inclusive Student Record- Students may now specify a preferred first name as well as pronouns of reference. A student's preferred name and pronouns will appear on instructor class lists in MAUI and ICON. To learn more about these updates and the importance of using correct pronouns of reference please view the video "Using preferred names and gender pronouns at the University of Iowa" . For more details regarding the Inclusive Student terminology please see the Resources for Trans Communities and their Allies website.
- Students will be able to drop and add courses for the first five days of the semester via MyUI rather than using the paper Change of Registration Form. This option ends at 11:59 p.m. before the sixth business day of classes (Sunday, August 28 at 11:59 p.m. for the Fall 2016 semester). The exceptions are:
- Students will not be able to drop their only (last) course on MyUI.
- Any off-cycle sections (sections that do not meet for the full length of the semester) that have already begun during the first five days of classes will not be available for students to add on MyUI.
- If a course requires special permission, please see the department before adding the course in MyUI.
- Students can join a waitlist if the option is available on MyUI. Students should not use a Change of Registration Form until that option is no longer accessible.
- Student Athletes and International Students may add courses on MyUI but additional permission will be required to drop courses. Please click here for more information.
- Selected Tippie School of Management MBA programs students are not allowed to participate in this five day period. They are required to use the Change of Registration Form.
- Beginning the sixth business day of the semester, students will be able drop course in MyUI with appropriate authorization. Students must process adds, section changes, and hours changes by submitting a Change of Registration Form with required signatures to the Registrar’s Service Center.
- For more information regarding registration, please visit the Office of the Registrar’s Registration webpage.
- Note: Paper Change of Registration Forms can still be processed at the Registrar’s Service Center, 17 Calvin Hall if you are not able to make your changes using MyUI.
Students Not Returning
Students not returning to the University for fall semester must drop their entire Fall enrollment before August 22, 2016 to prevent being held for tuition and fee assessment.
Enrollment may be dropped by either:
- Dropping all your Fall courses by 11:59 p.m., August 21, 2016 on MyUI; or
- Faxing, mailing, or emailing a statement with your signature to the Registrar’s Service Center indicating you will not return to the University for the Fall semester. Your statement must include your name, address, contact information (phone and email) and University ID number and be received by 4:30 pm on August 19, 2016.
Residence hall contracts must be canceled separately by sending the same information to University Housing and Dining, 4141 Burge Hall, Iowa City, IA 52242.
The first Fall semester University Bill is due August 25, 2016. You can view and pay online via MyUI. Failure to make the minimum payment by that date will result in a late fee.
The Fall Academic Calendar is available on the Office of the Registrar’s website.