This page provides information and instructions on Adding a Course when MyUI is closed.
When course adds are no longer possible in MyUI (after the 5th day of the session for full semester courses, on the first day of off-cycle courses) students will see an Initiate Add Request button instead of the Enroll button. The button will be seen when searching for courses via Course Type, which appears under the student's class schedule, or using Browse By Courses.
Professional MBA and MSBA Students - DO NOT use this process. Contact your advisor for any changes in registration you need to make.
Information for Advisors, Instructors and Dean's is located at the bottom of the page.
After locating the course you wish to add, click the Initiate Add Request button.
Clicking the Initiate Add button will pop up a message with instructions. The image below shows a portion of the pop-up message.
Add a Course Instructions - Students*
This information also appears in the pop-up in MyUI after clicking the Initiate Add Request button.
- Create a new email using only your UIowa email account. Emails from other accounts will not be approved.
- Use the Copy buttons next to Subject and Message and paste the information into the Subject Line and Body of the email.
- Add the UIowa email addresses of each person you need permission from in the To Line of your email.
- You will need Instructor permission. The Instructor's email address is available in the course listing.
- You will need Advisor permission (unless not required by the Tippie College of Business).
- You will find your Advisor on MyUI under Programs of Study and Advisors.
- You will need Dean's permission after 2/5/21. If your course off-cycle (not full session) please use the Course Deadline Look-up Tool to confirm add deadlines.
- You will find college Dean contact information HERE.
- Add any additional comments or information needed and send your email.
Important Final Steps
- After you receive a reply with all of your needed permissions, then forward that email to email@example.com for processing.
- If the section you are adding contains "EX", please forward your email with all permissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, Distance and Online Education, Registration/Student services for processing.
*Professional MBA and MSBA Students - DO NOT use this process. Contact your advisor for any changes in registration you need to make. Additional registration information for MBA students can be found HERE.
If you have questions, please contact email@example.com or call 319-384-4300.
Add a Course Instructions - Advisors, Instructors and Deans
Students will send an email to individuals whose approval is required to add a course after MyUI is closed.
Emails sent by students MUST come from their official UI email account. If you receive an add request from a non-UI email account, please reply to the student directing them to send from their UI email. That information is communicated to students when they click the Initiate Add Request button.
- If you approve the add request, please REPLY ALL to the email sent by the student, with a statement including which permission you are giving. For example: [Your Name] approves this add as the [choose one: Instructor, Advisor, or Dean.]
- If you do not approve the add request, please REPLY ALL, letting the student know if they need to do anything else, or why you are not able to approve the add request.
- If you are not the correct person to approve the add request, please REPLY ALL, letting the student know who they need to contact instead.
- Students are expected to forward the email with all approved permissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. However, if you are the final person to provide required permission, you can reply all and send the message to email@example.com.